Do you remember when your child first smiled, walked and talked? Sure you do! Now your child is ready for another first—kindergarten!
The information you need to successfully complete kindergarten registration is on this web site:
Who must attend kindergarten?
Where & When do parents register their children?
What must parents bring to register their child?
What should parents expect during the registration process?
We want your child to have a wonderful kindergarten year and look forward to playing an important role in your child’s educational career.
Get a jump start on enrolling your child! Complete the new DPS Online Student Registration Form now for a quicker process (and less paperwork) when you finalize the process at Student Assignment.
Dayton Public Schools provides a high-quality education in a safe environment that prepares our students for success in school, work and life by providing a highly effective trained staff working each day with community resources.
Kindergarten is mandatory!
- Ohio law states that the successful completion of kindergarten is a mandatory requirement for admission to first grade.
- All children who will be five (5) years old on or before Sept. 30, 2014 must be registered for kindergarten for the 2014-2015 school year.
All registration must be completed at the district’s Student Assignment Office:
115 S. Ludlow Street
Dayton, OH 45402-1812
In order to insure that your child’s kindergarten registration goes as quickly and easily as possible, you must bring the following documents:
Shot records showing the dates for:
Parent’s Photo I.D. that includes their signature
Proof of Address (utility bill, lease agreement, mortgage statement, paycheck stub, or other legal documentation). Proof of address document must include the parent’s full name and address and should be dated within 60 days of your visit to the Student Assignment Office.
Custody Documentation, if applicable (divorce decree, Children Services documentation, etc.)
Additionally, the following information can prove most helpful in the application process:
Child care provider’s name, address, and phone number, if applicable (for transportation to/from a day care center or private child care provider).
Please register as soon as possible.
When parents come to the Student Assignment Office, their paperwork will be reviewed to make sure all documentation is provided.
parent or guardian’s residence is in the Dayton school district,
child has received the required immunizations,
parent/guardian is the legal custodian of the child, and
child will be five (5) on or before Sept. 30, 2014.
To ensure a more expedient registration process, you are encouraged to bring all requested documentation with you when registering.
Transportation will be provided from the student’s home or child care provider, pending prevailing transportation eligibility criteria. For additional information, please call the Student Assignment Office at (937) 542-4010.
- Free parking in rear of building off of Fifth Street
- If your child will be five years old on or before Sept. 30, 2014, you may register your child for kindergarten beginning March 4, 2014.
- A successful kindergarten experience is a mandatory requirement for admission to first grade.
- If your child will turn five (5) years of age between Oct. 1, 2014 and Jan. 1, 2015, please contact Psychological Services at 542-3409 to schedule early entrance testing in August 2014. If your child is eligible for early entrance for kindergarten, parent will need to enroll and bring all required documentation, including the early entrance approval letter.
- choose a school close to their home (pending available space in school/grade),
- choose a school where an older sibling is assigned (pending space), or
- choose a district-wide program (Dayton Boys Preparatory Academy, Charity Adams Earley Girls Academy, or River’s Edge Montessori).