Dayton citizens can support their schools only to the degree that they understand them. Timely information and transparency are critical to this process. But beyond the facts and figures, we must also tell our story.
The DPS Office of Strategic Communication works to tell these stories through print and digital formats, including social media and a number of publications that can be found on our website. From community newsletters to media releases, we keep district initiatives, student and staff achievements, and fiscal and operational challenges in front of our stakeholders through the release of timely, relevant information that provides greater transparency and opportunities for citizens to better understand their schools, support them and become involved. Publications produced by the Office of Strategic Communication include the following:
- Education Matters - Electronic newsletter that provides a quarterly snapshot of district news, accomplishments and initiatives.
- Priority Board Notes - This monthly account of district events, achievements and opportunities for involvement is shared by district leaders who are assigned to attend monthly priority board meetings to update district citizens. Elected citizen volunteers comprise Dayton’s priority boards and work together to address neighborhood concerns.
- Report to the Community - The district’s annual report is published each fall in hard copy and on the DPS website to update stakeholders on our progress and challenges, based on our five district goals: high-quality education, high-quality faculty and staff, engaged parents, community collaborators and partners, parent and community involvement and fiscal responsibility.
- News Releases and Media Advisories - Releases are sent to all print and electronic news outlets, staff and community leaders and posted on our Web site to share the progress, mission and successes of Dayton Public Schools.
- Tip Sheets - Tip sheets are compilations of achievements and events released as a single news item to all print and electronic news outlets, staff and community leaders and posted on our Web site.
- Public Service Announcements - Announcements of upcoming events are sent to print and electronic media to be shared with their audiences as community updates about upcoming events in the community interest.
Specialty Publications – The Office of Strategic Communication works with schools and departments to publish program brochures, mailers and other items for information, promotional or recruitment purposes. Here are just two examples:
- Dunbar Early College High School Informational Brochure
- Dayton Boys Preparatory Academy Informational Brochure
DPS TV and WDPS FM
Dayton Public Schools has its own district television and radio stations, serving the DPS community and beyond with local programming available online live and on-demand.