TEACH AT DPS
The Dayton Public Schools partners with colleges and universities in and outside of Ohio to place student teachers in classrooms with master teachers.
Student Teachers in training are assigned to our district from time to time as:
- student teachers in training
- students in pre-professional field experiences for the purpose of:
- tutoring and related activities
- developing and learning teaching methods and techniques
Student teachers will be placed based on the following criteria:
- Board Approved Memorandum of Understanding from college or university
- Assignment from district personnel based on:
- Grade level/Content
- Availability of teacher(s) in the required area
- The willingness of school/teacher(s) to take a student teacher
Student teachers must attend an orientation to solidify their philosophy of teaching, engage in learning new strategies to help students learn, and experience first-hand the inner workings of the district.
Student teaching in Dayton Public schools will prepare teachers in the art of teaching and the ability to discover the heart of teaching under the support of a master host of teachers. Student teachers in DPS gain practical, hands-on experience through classroom, professional development activities working in an environment that provides ongoing support and the opportunity to remain with the district contingent upon successful completion of field experience, observation, and referral by principal/and or host teacher.