Office of Legal and Labor Relations
115 S. Ludlow St.
Dayton OH 45402
Tel. (937) 542-3007
Fax (937) 542-3151
The DPS Office of Legal and Labor Relations advises the Dayton Board of Education and its officials on legal and personnel matters as they arise. In addition, the legal department revises and updates school system policies and regulations, reviews potential contracts with outside vendors and hears the grievances and disciplines of unionized employees. The legal department also reviews allegations of harassment and discrimination to ensure the district is in compliance with all Board policies and local, state, and federal laws.
To provide the Board and its designees with prompt and thorough guidance regarding school-related legal issues.
What We Do:
- Represent the Board and its designees in federal, state, local and administrative legal proceedings;
- Provide legal guidance to ensure effective operation of the district;
- Assist the Board and the Superintendent in updating and developing administrative policies and procedures that ensure school safety and improve efficiencies;
- Act as a hearing officer for disciplinary actions to address employee misconduct;
- Act as a hearing officer for grievances filed by union employees to ensure district compliance with the current collective bargaining agreements;
- Represent the District in arbitrations;
- Ensure the District’s compliance with federal, state and local laws regarding harassment and discrimination;
- Represent the District in the negotiation of collective bargaining agreements between the district and the unions