Welcome to Westwood Elementary School, home of the mighty Eagles!
Westwood Elementary became part of Dayton Public Schools in 1920 when it was annexed from Harrison Township Schools; it was the largest elementary school in that annexation. Due to a burgeoning population (some 1,000 to 1,200 students) in the 1950s, the school underwent a number of additions and expansions. In 1957, a new auditorium-gymnasium was constructed as part of the third addition to the school in a decade. The old gym was converted into eight classrooms, bringing the total number to 44 classrooms.
The school also saw many educational changes over the years. In 1968, Westwood was split into two sections, with kindergarten through third grades in one area and fourth through seventh grades in another. The goal, according to then-principal Bill Harrison, was to â€œgive the students closer supervision by specialists.â€ At that point, Westwood had more than 1,600 students.
The school was closed in 1982.
Ground was broken in November 2006 for the new school, which is built on the original site of Westwood Park. The site was acquired through collaboration with the City of Dayton. The official opening of Westwood Elementary School was held on Aug. 23, 2008.
Like the other new PreK-6 buildings, Westwood Elementary School provides more than 72,000 square feet of space for educational programs.